Filing for Bankruptcy in Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky
When considering filing for bankruptcy, you have options. Our attorneys can help you understand the different options for personal bankruptcy, including:
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy: Liquidation
- Chapter 7 involves eliminating certain debts such as credit card debt, medical debt, and personal loans while protecting assets such as equity in your home or car via exemptions. Once your debts are discharged, you will not have to repay creditors and they cannot pursue further action against you.
- In most cases, you do not have to forfeit all your property under Chapter 7. Exempt property will be determined by using the state list or federal list of bankruptcy exemptions. This property will be protected when you file.
- Your non-exempt property will be sold to pay back debtors.
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy may be useful for those with little to no assets.
You must pass the “means test” to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. If your income is too high or it is determined that you can reasonably pay your debts, you may not qualify for Chapter 7 but you can still file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
Chapter 13 Bankruptcy: Reorganization
- Chapter 13 is designed to help people with a continuing income who are experiencing debt difficulties. You will pay back all or a portion of your debts through a repayment plan. In Chapter 13, a three- to five-year repayment plan is developed based on your ability to repay.
- This may be ideal for clients who have a regular income.
As your attorneys, we will help you figure out which bankruptcy option you qualify for and we will determine how best to proceed. If bankruptcy is not the right option for your situation, we will tell you so. Our number one goal is to help you through this incredibly tough time in your life, no matter what it takes.
Why Should I Reach Out To An Attorney?
Navigating the bankruptcy process is not something you should do alone. As your dedicated bankruptcy lawyers, we will listen to your story, seek to understand your situation, and inform you of the options that make the most sense for you and your goals. We’ll then take charge to put you in a position to pursue those goals. Together, we will choose the right path for you that takes all aspects of your life into consideration. Our attorneys have more than seven decades of combined experience making a difference for our community. Allow us to make a difference for you.